Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year

Last year, I spent my New Years Eve in my room, crying. I don't exactly remember why - I think it had something to do with the fact I didn't want to be happy, and because I wasn't happy because I didn't want to be, and not because of a real problem, I was even more unhappy. Figure that one out.

This year, however, was simply great. I spent the Eve of New Years Eve in Phillip Island, celebrating a friend's mum's 50th. To be honest, it was actually one of the best nights I have had - his family are some of the happiest people I have ever met and there was a constant inflow of hilarity and all the awkwardness I usually feel around new people, was absent.

The variations between families still shocks me, I find it hard to comprehend how some families work perfectly, and others do not at all, despite similar situations. I just hope my own future family will be as gorgeous as I imagine. 

Back onto NYE - after a horrendous car trip back to Melbourne from Phillip Island (due to the nauseating aftereffects of alcohol) I had to freshen up and head into the city for work. Stupidly, I hadn't eaten properly for a few days and for the next 8 hours, I felt like I was going to keel over and die of starvation.

Working in the city was actually quite rewarding, despite the sore legs and lethargy, the 'thank yous' and smiles we received made my day. I probably should explain I was working for the council, marshaling Yarra Park, I was near one of the main entries/exits @ Richmond Station - I have honestly never seen more people in one place in my life.

Over 90,000 people came to our area to see the family fireworks and the one thing that stood out the most, was the feeling of community and joy that every single person walking past exuded. It was beautiful and inspiring to witness this - the ability of the human race to share something special, that the beauty and excitement of one night can subside difference and conflict.

This is why I love working with people, because though there is bad, there is ALWAYS more good.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment